Job Description – Jewish Life Specialist
Background: The URJ Henry S. Jacobs Camp is a residential, Jewish summer camp located in Utica, MS that serves campers ages 7-16, who spend between ten days and six weeks on-site during the summer. We strive to create a healthy, nurturing environment for campers and staff to try new activities, build meaningful relationships, and grow their Jewish identities. We are seeking qualified candidates to join our team as Specialists.
- Training and experience commensurate with needs of specialty position. Teaching experience in Jewish education.
- Strong enthusiasm for and broad-based knowledge of Judaism and Jewish learning.
- Ability to follow defined teaching requirements, developing own methods of presentation to campers.
- When required, hold relevant certifications in activity area.
- Lead and coordinate Jewish Life education for the 3rd – 5th grade age group, as scheduled for each day. Maintain daily record of activity lesson plan.
- Be available for cabin activities as requested by counselors.
- Prepare and lead Jewish Life activities as directed by the Director of Jewish Life.
- Act as general resource for other camp activities relating to Jewish Life at Jacobs Camp.
- When time permits, participate in other camp programming as is practical. Specialists that are assigned to units should be with assigned units when they do not have direct programming responsibilities — especially at meals, song sessions, services, and evening programs. Sitting with cabins and interacting with campers is a must.
- Exercise good judgment and safety consciousness at all times. Act as role-model for safety with campers.
- Directly responsible for most maintenance and upkeep of facilities and supplies necessary for assigned specialty.
- Attend in-camp training sessions and staff meetings as required.
Designated Supervisor: Director of Jewish Life